ENP 4.3 GYE: Yellowstone and its future with David Quammen
10/11/2017Bryan talks with David Quammen, author of both fiction and non-fiction, and the sole writer of National Geographic Magazine’s May 2016 issue on Yellowstone in honor of the centennial of the National Park Service. He also published Yellowstone: A Journey Through America’s Wild Heart” in August of 2016. They talk about a number of issues affecting the park.
Discussion includes the following:
- Is Yellowstone too small? Yellowstone National Park as a part of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem and how animals move beyond the boundaries of the park (1:38).
- Is Yellowstone being loved to death? (5:55)
- Creeping Crisis (10:45)
- Impact of visitation (12:58)
- Lake trout and invasive species (20:20)
- Interconnectedness of ecology and policy: rescue of the American Bison (27:52)
- Wolf conservation (35:25)
- What gives us hope? Optimism, positive stories including grizzly bears (40:14)
- How to be a good visitor and friend to the park (42:12)